Maryland Cannabis Program
Physicians interested in the Maryland Medical Cannabis program should know:
* Cannabis is a Schedule 1 substance so it is not a prescription.
* A law was passed in Maryland so physicians can recommend medical cannabis to patients with a debilitating illness.
* First, physicians must register with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission by going to http://mmcc.maryland.gov/
Details from the Maryland law (found at http://mmcc.maryland.gov/pages/law/documents/Subtitle%2033_Sept2015_Corrected.pdf
Physicians and conditions 13-3304:
* A physician who wants to certify patients for cannabis must submit an application including:
* (1) The reasons for including a patient under the care of the physician for the purposes of this subtitle, including the patient’s qualifying medical conditions;
* (2) An attestation that a standard patient evaluation will be completed, including a history, a physical examination, a review of symptoms, and other pertinent medical information; and
* (3) The physician’s plan for the ongoing assessment and follow-up care of a patient and for collecting and analyzing data.
* Commission is encouraged to approve physician applications for the following medical conditions:
o (i) A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition that results in a patient being admitted into hospice or receiving palliative care; or
o (ii) A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or the treatment of a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition that produces: 1. Cachexia, anorexia, or wasting syndrome; 2. Severe or chronic pain; 3. Severe nausea; 4. Seizures; or 5. Severe or persistent muscle spasms.
* The Commission may approve applications that include any other condition that is severe and for which other medical treatments have been ineffective if the symptoms reasonably can be expected to be relieved by the medical use of cannabis.
* If you have any legal questions or want legal advice, we are happy to connect you with our friends at Offit Kurman who are experts on the Maryland Medical Cannabis Program – www.cannabisisok.com